|The idea that cutting blades, including razor blades, could be manufactured in
layers to create self-sharpening effect was dubbed "ingenious" by the
president of a sports knives manufacturer in the United States. This
technology can be applicable to many cutting blades, saws, knives, and
shears used by the public, as well as the industry.
One of the most intriguing applications of this technology involves the creation
of self-sharpening razor blades from plastics. Plastic self-sharpening blades
will have the following advantages over the existing stainless steel blades:
1. Initial sharpness will be maintained throughout the service life
2. Longer service life can be designed into the razor if desired
3. Will not corrode
4. Lower friction coefficient, which is maintained throughout the life of the
blade, will allow smooth shaving experience
5. Sharpness of the blade is controlled simply by controlling the thickness
of several layers that make up the blade.
6. Plastic blades allow simpler razor manufacturing approaches
7. Self-sharpening blades allow many novel razor designs
8. Lower manufacturing costs
Such blades will provide comfortable shaving experience that will remain as
good as the first day for a longer time. Additionally, this innovation will open
the floodgates for many innovations in razor design in years to come.
Self-sharpening prototype blades were manufactured and tested. The
self-sharpening effect was demonstrated.
|Aaah! The ingenious art and
science of layering
|Blades are tested by measuring the depth
of cut in a stack of paper impregnated
with microscopic glass particles